Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Blog Post #8

http://www.cmu.edu/randyslecture/story/index.html
Dr. Randy Pausch was an advocate in the education field, and due to his Last Lecture, everyone has access to a few pieces of his life. He taught computer science courses that were completely project-based and had great success with his ten years of experience in this area. Randy created several courses that were solely project-based, and even created a "Building Virtual Worlds" class. To do this, he brought computer scientists together with dramatists and designers to have a course that would focus on getting the most out of his students. To me, this is a great goal to have as a teacher. In his Last Lecture, Randy explains what it is to follow your dreams and lead your life. This video showed me how to become a great teacher and person.

(Part of) What I learned from Randy:

  • Learn how to have fun, ALWAYS.
  • Teach your students in a way that they may learn something hard and have fun. 
  • Make your students think they are learning how to create something extraordinarily fun, while it really teaches them something very valuable (the term is "Head Fake"). 
  • Give yourself and your students a chance to learn from each other. 
  • There are lessons to be learned every day. 
  • Get the most creativity possible out of your students.


These are just a few things I learned from this video, while I am sure I would write more if I watched it again. Randy Pausch has most definitely left a legacy in the world of education, and I will be proud to become part of it!

1 comment:

  1. Hello Abby! I enjoyed watching Dr. Pausch's last lecture and I totally agree that he left a great legacy in the world of education. I learned lots of things from his lecture as well. Learning to keep learning fun is important for the students as well as us as the teacher. Great post and keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete