Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Blog Post #5

http://donalomahony.edublogs.org/2011/05/03/personal-learning-network/
Personal Learning Networks are the set of tools and people you acquire to be successful as a professional educator. A good PLN requires a lot of work and patience, but learning from your own PLN will provide you with tons of knowledge that will make you a better educator. The ever-changing education system is what makes PLNs so effective- it gives teachers the opportunity to stay in tune with new programs and technology than can change the way students learn, for the better of course. 

To create your own Personal Learning Network, you must compile a list of people or things of interest. According to Dr. Strange's post, all you have to do is search them, follow them, and even communicate with them using the tools you already have. Learn from them! Then, expand your PLN with even more points of interest, being open to new activities and lesson plans. The best thing about PLNs is that it requires a good bit of open-mindedness that will also help you as a teacher in a classroom. 

In my PLN, I will search for Physical Education teachers who are not your average PE teachers. Of course, we all have a curriculum to follow, but I want to expand on the curriculum and make a difference in my students. I want tools that will help my students make physical fitness part of their every day lives, not just because they have to. If I can teach them that fitness and making healthy choices is a great lifestyle to have, then I have done my job. I'm not saying that all children have to run so many miles or push so much weight, but that being healthy is not hard, and with making it a habit to stay active, people live longer, happier lives. If there are any tools or people that will help me with this goal, then sign me up!


2 comments:

  1. Hey Abby!

    I completely agree that it requires a lot of patience when it comes to building your PLN because it can become overwhelming if you try to tackle it all in one sitting. I also mentioned in my post about how it's important for teachers to stay in tune with new technology because it really is always changing and if we can stay open-minded, we can push ourselves as educators to relay the subject to our students in a fun, creative way! Thanks for a great read! :)

    -Courtney

    ReplyDelete