Sunday, February 8, 2015

C4T #1, 2 and 3

C4T #1- Edna Sackson
Summary of Edna's post: "No Secret Teacher Business"
In this post, Edna Sackson, the owner of the blog "What Ed Said" talks about the way students are starting to learn now, and how education is changing for the better. She gives examples of how students are coping with new learning strategies by showing a prompt by a 12 year old girl talking about the iBook she read in her class. The young girl, Sassi, has developed into a good learner, much like the other children her age. Edna shares her personal opinions as to how learning should be, and I agree completely with her. Students should be able to develop and learn on their own.

My Comment to Edna:
It is great to hear from actual students that they enjoy learning in a different way! As a student in EDM310, I love the fact that what I am doing in this class will make a difference in my students’ lives. I had a teacher in high school who had so much faith in us to learn on our own, and I never understood why. But now I know, we are capable of doing it ourselves!

I would love to learn more about how the programs built within technology are used in the classroom. With times changing, students are becoming more tech-savvy and as teachers, we should be too! If we future educators get on board, it would take no time for us to build our own networks and connections so our students could build their own.

C4T #2- Eric Langhorst
Summary of Eric's post: "
Flipping the Classroom and Google Tools"
In this post, Eric goes into detail about the pros and cons of "flipping the classroom" which means to have students learn on their own and making much of learning digital, with teacher supporting students on their intellectual journeys. He then goes through programs that he feels will help students and their quests to become technologically savvy, such as Google Drive, QuickTime, Youtube, etc.

My Comment to Eric: 
Mr. Langhorst, I am a student at the University of South Alabama and I am studying to be a teacher. I have very much enjoyed this presentation as your presentations are very clear and concise, and I enjoyed looking at the ways you incorporate technology in the classroom. Your posts are very interesting, and I would like to learn more about how to incorporate these things into the classroom when I begin to teach.

http://speakingofhistory.blogspot.com/2014/11/2014-msta-convention-flipping-classroom.html
C4T #3- Eva Buyuksimkesyan's 
In her blog, Eva reveals what she learned at Bett Show 2015. She shows her enjoyment of learning the up-to-date information about education and the technology being used around the world. She believes that it's a teacher who will make the difference in students' lives, not the apps. The apps are just tools in the process of education. She also mentions Marc Prensky's book in her post and agrees that students should be taught effective problem solving, negotiating, creativity, etc. 
My comment to Eva:
I enjoyed hearing about what you saw and learned in London! I visited last summer from America, and what a beautiful place. I hope I can attend one of these shows when I become an educator. Thanks for sharing!

Summary of Eva's post (my comment #2): A quick Lesson for Valentine's Day
Eva gives a fun lesson plan with creating sentences using heart shaped cut outs and a handout that sparks their creativity. The handout consists of a table that has columns with the titles Food, People, Pets, Drinks, and Places. As they complete this handout they will write a different sentence on each heart. The beginning of each sentence is "Love is"…

http://evasimkesyan.com/2015/02/07/a-quick-lesson-for-valentines-day/#comment-1365

Random phrases, such as "a piece of cake, a friendly dog, sister, mother," etc. can be used. She explains that children will use these phrases to write on their heart shaped cut outs and turn it into a book.

My comment to Eva:
This is a great idea! I will most definitely use this in my classroom. I am a student enrolled at the University of South Alabama also, and I have really enjoyed looking at your blog!

I know students enjoy being creative, so adding this in to their learning is very important. The most important thing to me is making sure my students are learning and enjoying the process of education, not dreading it.

No comments:

Post a Comment